Sunday, March 09, 2008

Odds and Ends

For the past several weeks I've been studying to pass my General Securities (Series 7) exam. Last week I took a crash course that built upon the foundation of the information I'd been studying up to that point. Although grueling (8-hour classes with 2-3 hours of homework each night), I'm really glad I took the class. The teacher was extremely knowledgeable (albeit slightly strange with a corny sense of humor), having worked in the securities industry, including at the New York Stock Exchange, for more than 30 years. Up until just a few months ago, she was also on the committee that formulated questions for the test. So, she was also helpful in defining a study plan that purportedly assists more than 90% of her students in passing the exam (which I think has a first-time pass rate of like 30%, or something).

I was excited to learn on Tuesday during a coffee break that my first client had invested money with me in an investment with my new firm, Westmoore Securities. Mostly I was glad that my friend/client would benefit from an excellent short-term investment opportunity--a note that is paying 5% a month! That was a highlight of the week for me.

The other highlight was driving home from class that same night (Tuesday) and talking to Cherie and Christian on the cell phone. In his first little league pitching outing Christian did great, striking out several batters. However, he had developed a slightly bad habit, which was related to his lack of confidence in his pitching delivery. We worked on it last Sunday and Christian was excited to tell me that he had struck out virtually everyone he faced (a 7-year-old striking out 9- and 10-year olds!). He has excellent command and a strong arm for his age. His performance helped out team (the Yankees) to beat the Padres, who had roughed us up pretty good in an earlier scrimmage before the season started. I was soooo proud of him. He was delighted and Cherie was, too. That was nice.

Christian didn't play baseball this weekend because he went to Glamis with his best friend, Michael, and his family. They had a great time, but I know the baseball team missed him (I feel a little guilty, like we let them down by not being there). Well, it was Christian's last desert trip for awhile, so I thought it would be okay for him to go.

Caley and Hannah had a choir performance last Thursday night that I was unable to attend due to my class. Our church, the Anaheim Vineyard, hosted the performance. Cherie said it went well, and the girls had a great time. Emma is still doing great at school and is such a silly girl. She is constantly cracking Cherie and me up.

Cherie is doing great. She got a new hair cut a couple of weeks ago and I love it. It's probably my favorite one. So, she's really happy about that.

Well, that's about all for now. I didn't sleep at all last night, so I'm hoping that tonight I sleep soundly. I have to take a benchmark (practice) examination tomorrow, which is supposed to simulate the real test. The results of the exam will reveal areas of weakness that I will need to shore up this week. So, one more week of study (hopefully) and I'll sit for the test.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Cherbear said...

Hey babe, great to see you post again. I'm proud of you for all your hard work and really enjoy having you home more. The kids too :D