Monday, April 03, 2006

Return Of The Champions

Tonight at the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim Mike and I saw Queen with Paul Rodgers of Free and Bad Company fame. The show rocked. Queen did a bunch of my favorites, including Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are The Champions, Under Pressure, and Tie Your Mother Down. I was impressed with how relatively seamless the transitions were between Queen songs and some of Paul Rodgers' past hits, including Bad Company, Feel Like Makin' Love, and All Right Now. Rodgers has just about a perfect voice for an arena rock band.

Master lead guitarist Brian May played his signature guitar through a wall of Vox amps, creating a massive sound. In addition to being a brilliant guitarist May is a very impressive singer . The band's vocals, in general, were huge and spot on, which I loved. The only disappointment was some of the songs they selected to play. I'm not a big fan of Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Another One Bites the Dust, or Radio Ga Ga; but, I realize there's no getting around playing them. I would much rather have heard Killer Queen, Somebody to Love, and You're My Best Friend. Oh, well. Overall, the show was fantastic.

God Save [the] Queen!

No comments: