Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Plush Gig

The Afterfall gig at Plush Cafe on Friday night was a blast. Wretch opened up with a few acoustic tunes and was followed by On The Spot, which was a mix of blues, R&B, rap, spoken word, and rock.

By the time Afterfall took the stage the place was packed. I noticed two girls invited by Dale (the bass player), who waitress at my family's favorite breakfast restaurant, The Original Pancake House. They were shocked to see me, since they apparently didn't know I played music (kinda surprising since we've been going to that restaurant for over 10 years!).

We opened the set with a tune we hadn't played for a long time--a tribute to Willy Wonka entitled Take Me There. It's a rockin' fun song with a cool solo section. During the solo, some girl I'd never seen before came up on stage and was dancing next to me. It kinda took me by surprise, but I was cool with it. I think our restrained reaction embarrassed her a little bit and she took off before the song ended (probably for the best). From there we went into the hard charging song, Big Mistake. This was followed by the "Love parallelogram," which consisted of four songs chronicaling the ups and downs of relationships that Darren and Wade have been through over the years. Then came my favorite song to play, Tomorrow. Great progressive rock song with a very cool guitar solo section. This song dovetailed into my other favorite tune, Butterfly--a moody and ethereal song with a great half-time chorus and crescendo at the end. We ended the set with Celluloid World, a ballad with sweet harmonies.

The crowd seemed to have a great time. We all had fun hanging out afterward. I had an idea that next time Lower Than Angels or Afterfall play Plush Cafe, Myke and I would open up with a few acoustic songs. Myke said he was into it. So, we got some work to do before the next show, which sounds like it might take place in early March.

No comments: