Monday, November 21, 2005

Buddha Boy In Nepal

Drudge Report links to this article in the Telegraph about a 15-year-old boy who has been hailed as a new Buddha. Reportedly, Ram Bomjon has been meditating beneath a tree in southern Nepal, without eating or drinking anything since he sat down 6 months ago.

It sounds interesting. I mean, what 15-year-old kid just checks out like that? His devotees say he hasn't even relieved himself yet and that a light emanates from his head sometimes. I've seen and heard of some crazy spiritual stuff in my day, but haven't heard that one yet. I wouldn't be surprised if his devotees are guilty of some hyperbole. But, this boy is a strange curiosity. He's becoming a cottage industry for locals who are making some dough off the pilgrims that come to check him out.

I wonder if he'll claim some new revelation. Or, maybe he'll take a page out of Forest Gump and one day announce he's bored, get up, and go take a dump. We'll see.

No comments: